Re: [GSoC] AD7292 driver project

Apologies for the delayed response.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 12:43 AM Jonathan Cameron
<jic23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have been trying to remove all direct use of the mlock mutex
> in struct iio_dev from drivers.  It has one very specific and tightly
> defined purpose to protect drivers from trying to do things they
> shouldn't when changing from a polled mode to one which is interrupt
> driven (DIRECT to BUFFERED).  Unfortunately we weren't great at
> enforcing the distinction in the early days of IIO.

> The solution is almost always to replace the use of mlock with
> either calls to iio_claim_direct_mode (if it is an open coded
> version of what the mlock is intended for) or to introduce a
> lock within the driver itself with well defined scope covering
> whatever mlock was incorrectly being used for.
>
> Another traditional area for people first getting involved in IIO is
> to look at the drivers that are still in drivers/staging/iio
> but to be honest there are not many left there now so that isn't
> as fruitful as it used to be.  If you do want to look at those, do
> send a message to the list to confirm no one else is currently
> looking a the same driver.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'd tried this staging driver cleanup long time back and I didn't find
much of the cleanup patches.
So, preferably I'll go ahead with the former suggestion on "removal of
mlock_mutex".
Meanwhile, I'll get started with testing this on a sensor as well.
I'll get back to you with any doubts while working on these.

Regards,
Karuna