Re: [GSoC] AD7292 driver project

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 04:09:36PM +0530, Karuna Grewal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in working on the AD7292 driver for Linux kernel as a
> part of the GSoC project. I've previous experience working with device
> drivers and am also familiar with couple of Linux kernel's subsystems.
> For a starting point I wonder if someone can point out some tasks
> which I could work upon as the project page doesn't elaborate much
> about it.

Agreed!

You may try the following:
https://kernelnewbies.org/IIO_tasks

Please don't send these Tasks on iio list.

> In case the idea is to start working on the driver itself I'd like to
> discuss about the same.

My personal opinion: Try to get atleast a small patchset accepted in
the kernel. It helps you get familiar with all the tools and how kernel
cycle moves. I strongly agree with Jonathan on 'setup', whatever
hardware you plan to use in the project say., how would you build/test
kernel on Rpi or beagle or QEMU or diolan ? dt-overlay, acpi
enumeration ?

Pray that AD7292 doesn't have an unusual SPI interface.
Otherwise you end up like me ;)

If you really want to try some sensor, I would recommend https://www.tanotis.com/
to buy them as they have cheap and low duty-taxes+GST+ ...

In my case I ordered from mouser IIRC:
₹ 1,459.58(sensor) + ₹ 1,750.58(duty taxes + other taxes from Indian
Gov.)

Yeah, taxes are more than the actual sensor! Surreal :/

Feel free to query mentors and community with questions -- I would
join you too.

Goodluck!
--
Himanshu Jha