Re: Questions about the contributing process

Thanks a lot for the great answers, Jonathan!
Some comments about them, inline.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 4:08 PM Jonathan Cameron
<jic23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 14:51:07 -0200
> Matheus Tavares Bernardino <matheus.bernardino@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone
> Hi Matheus.
> >
> > It's been a few months since I started sending patches, but there are
> > still some points about the process that I do not quite understand. I
> > would be really grateful if anyone could help clarify them for me.
> >
> > 1) How do we credit more than one person as an author? Here at the
> > University of São Paulo we sometimes develop patches in pair
> > programming, and I don't really know if in these cases we should just
> > add the S-o-B of both authors or add the "Co-Developed-by" tag (or
> > something else). Also, is this something specific to each subsystem?
>
> It's certainly an interesting one and an area we probably need to
> have a solution for in general given that methodologies such
> as pair programming are becoming more common.
>
> For IIO I have no real problem with multiple sign offs though slight
> preference for having that and Co-Developed-by to explain the
> additional signed-off-by is part of the actual developer's
> Developer Certificate of Origin rather than one indicating having
> 'handled the patch' line mine is...
>
> I've not often come across this one but see it's in submitting-patches.rst
> and is nice and clear so I'll be pushing for people to do this in future!

Great! I'm going to forward this to my USP colleagues so we can start
using Co-Developed-by, in addition to S-o-B.

> > 2) Does iio have a test infrastructure? I know there are autobuilders
> > playing with the iio.git testing branch, but how does it work? Also,
> > if there is no test beyond building, is there some plan to make such
> > an infrastructure in the near future?
>
> This is indeed an area we are very weak on.  Partly this is about the
> difficulty of having any sort of centralised test facility given the
> huge number of devices that would be needed.  Hence it comes down
> to individual developers testing patches that touch their drivers.
> I assume that some of the larger companies have automated test setups
> but don't actually know that.
>
> I've thought about building a small CI setup myself but never actually
> had the time to get it all wired up.  A certain class of device would
> be fairly easy, though it would still require proper wiring rather than
> the bunch of probes I often end up with whilst testing!
> Others such as motion sensors would require another
> level of automation to do any sort of thorough testing.

It does really seems to be a hard job to build and maintain a CI setup
for so many devices. But couldn't we have at least a simpler test
suite, made entirely in software, that mocks [some off] the devices
and tests part of the subsystem code? I know it wouldn't be as good as
having all the physical hardware and wiring to test, but maybe it
could be a start.

In addition it would facilitate the process of contribution and
revision because the test software could be run locally and would
encounter problems in the patches before they were sent.

> Hence all we have running all the time is the 0day build bots that
> Intel kindly provide for the community.  Those will do a lot of build
> and boot testing but there is no IIO specific testing in there. Kernelci
> and other boot test focused systems will hit the code once it reaches linux-next
> which is after Greg pulls it (a couple of times a cycle).
>
> Any progress in this area would be great. One day my garage may finally
> gain a permanent test rig, but it's not at the top of my list for holiday
> projects.
>
> I know from the day job CI system, the huge amount of work in getting a
> system set up and the constant maintenance burden that comes with it.
> The effort of kernelci has certainly made the tooling easier to get
> and use, but it is the perpetual issue with flakey hardware that keeps
> things busy once you reach a certain scale of testing.  Have 10+ boards
> and one of them will almost always be broken either physically or
> in software terms.  For some classes of sensor we could standardise
> on a host which would reduce the chance of this. The SoC ADCs won't
> work for this though.
>

> > 3) When a reviewer sends an Acked-by, but I still have to send a v2
> > for some reason (maybe adjusting the patch message, e.g.), should I
> > add the Acked-by in v2 or that's something the maintainers will do?
>
> If there are no substantial changes to the actual code, or they are ones
> the person giving the tags requested, please add any tags to your V2.
> I will occasionally remember to go back through old series because I know
> someone gave a tag, but mostly I will only look at the latest version when
> applying and assume all tags will already be there.

Ok, got it. Thanks.

> If you know I have missed one on a particular series, please point it
> out as I may well not have pushed out a non rebasing version of the tree
> (the main togreg branch) yet and so can edit the history to add the tag.
> I often do this for DT reviews when I've assumed the patch was so simple
> Rob wouldn't comment, neglecting how thorough he sometimes is and the
> review comes in post me applying it!
>

> > Thank you
> > Matheus
>
> All good thought provoking questions (particularly the testing one!).
> Keep them coming as it's useful stuff for everyone to know.
>
> There is the new Subsystem maintainer doc that I need to sit down and
> write for IIO. https://lwn.net/Articles/772882/ (pay walled currently)
>
> https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/154225759358.2499188.15268218778137905050.stgit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/#t
>
> I'll try and remember to put the answers to these in there.
> Note it'll probably be the Xmas week before I sit down and write that though.

Great! Thanks again for all the explanations.

Matheus