Re: Questions related to some drivers

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 18:56:16 -0300
Giuliano Augusto Faulin Belinassi <giuliano.belinassi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have some questions about the ad7780 driver.
>
>   * What is the val2 In the line 96 (*val2 = chan->scan_type.realbits
> - 1;)? How it is used? Is it related to the 24-bits ADC precision?

To understand that follow through what the code does when the type of a
read_raw is IIO_VAL_FRACTIONAL_LOG2;

>   * Why there is a subtraction in the line 99 ( *val -= (1 <<
> (chan->scan_type.realbits - 1)); )? Is the *val initialized with 0? Is
> that related to the formula described in the DATA OUTPUT CODING, at
> page 12?
> https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad7780.pdf

Yeah, that -= is definitely wrong.  Should just be an assignment to the
negative value.  This is telling userspace that the raw value should be
offset by half of it's maximum range before applying the scale to get
a reading in the IIO base units (here mV IIRC).