question about iio_dev.active_scan_mask

Hi,

I am looking at struct iio_dev in include/linux/iio/iio.h and the
active_scan_mask member is documented as:

@active_scan_mask:   [INTERN] union of all scan masks requested by buffers

I believe that this is a bitmap where if bit X is set, that means the
channel with scan_index == X is enabled for buffering.

I believe that "[INTERN]" means that this member should not be accessed
by a device driver, but I see many device drivers iterating over the
bits of this field.  Is my understanding incorrect?  Perhaps "[INTERN]"
means that the field can be read from the driver, but should not be written.

Please help me clear up my understanding.

Thanks,
David