Re: Kernel wishlist item: Better IIO API

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 10:18 +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:

>> > That's useful if a bit terse. Thanks though.

>> > Not really. Some drivers need the "in_accel_hysteresis" set, some don't
>> > have that sysfs file, for example.

>> > (pseudo code ahead)
>> >
>> > First, being able to cut down on the string manipulation would be great.
>> > So instead of doing:
>> > accel_x_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_x_raw");
>> > accel_y_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_y_raw");
>> > accel_z_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_z_raw");
>> > if (exists(accel_x_path) && exists(accel_y_path) && exists(accel_z_path)) {
>> >   // We have an accelerometer
>> >   do_something();
>> > }
>> > free(..x);
>> > free(..y);
>> > free(..z);
>> > free(sysfs_path);
>> >
>> > I could query for the device's capabilities:
>> > fd = open ("/dev/iio0");
>> > ioctl(fd, IIO_GET_CAPS, &caps);
>> > if (caps.channels & (IIO_CAP_ACCEL_X | IIO_CAP_ACCEL_Y | IIO_CAP_ACCEL_Z)) {
>> >   // We have an accelerometer
>> >   do_something();
>> > }
>> >
>> > Note that, from the data given, I don't know how to make out whether
>> > something is an accelerometer, or a quartenion sensor, or which one we
>> > should prefer on specific machines.
>> >
>> > This would also be stateful, so that 1) enabling the various channels,
>> > 2) changing the hysteresis would be reset when the fd is closed. That
>> > would cut down on the power consumption when unused, or when the service
>> > that uses that data crashes.
>> >
>> > Finally, there's some documentation, and it's not quite finished, or
>> > there's something fishy on this device:
>> > $ ls /sys//devices/platform/80860F41:04/i2c-12/i2c-SMO8500:00/iio:device0/events
>> > in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_en      in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_value
>> > in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_period  in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_en
>> > in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_value
>> > in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_period  in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_en
>> > in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_value   in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_period
>>
>> Could you paste here the initialization part of iio_chan_spec + iio_event_spec?
>
> How would I do that?

Just look into the code and search for iio_chan_spec and
iio_event_spec declaration.

e.g:

For iio_chan_spec:

static const struct iio_chan_spec iio_dummy_channels[] = {
»       {
};

For iio_event_spec:
static const struct iio_event_spec iio_dummy_event = {
»       .type = IIO_EV_TYPE_THRESH,
»       .dir = IIO_EV_DIR_RISING,
»       .mask_separate = BIT(IIO_EV_INFO_VALUE) | BIT(IIO_EV_INFO_ENABLE),
};