Re: Kernel wishlist item: Better IIO API

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 19:30 +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 06:47 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> >> Because it means there will be ambiguity in the API on how to do things.
> >> Which is typically not a desired property.

> >> It's not completely unusable ;)
> >
> > In the end, you prefer the "self-documenting" of using sysfs files,
> > rather than an API which you can document in a header file?
>
> If it was for me we'd be using a state-full IOCTL ABI rather than a
> stateless sysfs ABI. I'm definitely not happy with the current interface,
> but it's the interface we have. But the problem with userspace ABI (in
> comparison to in-kernel API) is that we can just change things at random,
> but we have to stick with the existing interface.
>
> The sysfs ABI is not meant to be self documenting and it is not
> undocumented. The documentation for the different attributes can be found in
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio[1].

That's useful if a bit terse. Thanks though.

> > I don't understand that. My questions on this very mailing-list, and
> > comments that were made to users of my code[1] clearly show that the
> > existing API is anything but "not ambiguous".
>
> That bug report sounds like bugs in the driver.

Not really. Some drivers need the "in_accel_hysteresis" set, some don't
have that sysfs file, for example.

> > I've used the Bluetooth, input, rfkill, and inotify APIs as provided
> > directly by the Linux kernel (not through a layer) and they're of better
> > quality than the IIO one.
> >
> > I just don't see how one could support a class of IIO sensors with the
> > existing API.
>
> I can understand your frustration. A API that is not usable in a generic way
> is not really useful. So we should try to fix that, but we are bound by the
> framework itself and can't just throw everything away.
>
> So lets start by trying to identify what is missing. Which information do
> you think could be provided by using a IOCTL interface which you need or
> want which is not provided by the current sysfs interface or can not be
> provided by the current sysfs interface.

(pseudo code ahead)

First, being able to cut down on the string manipulation would be great.
So instead of doing:
accel_x_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_x_raw");
accel_y_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_y_raw");
accel_z_path = build_filename (sysfs_path, "in_accel_z_raw");
if (exists(accel_x_path) && exists(accel_y_path) && exists(accel_z_path)) {
  // We have an accelerometer
  do_something();
}
free(..x);
free(..y);
free(..z);
free(sysfs_path);

I could query for the device's capabilities:
fd = open ("/dev/iio0");
ioctl(fd, IIO_GET_CAPS, &caps);
if (caps.channels & (IIO_CAP_ACCEL_X | IIO_CAP_ACCEL_Y | IIO_CAP_ACCEL_Z)) {
  // We have an accelerometer
  do_something();
}

Note that, from the data given, I don't know how to make out whether
something is an accelerometer, or a quartenion sensor, or which one we
should prefer on specific machines.

This would also be stateful, so that 1) enabling the various channels,
2) changing the hysteresis would be reset when the fd is closed. That
would cut down on the power consumption when unused, or when the service
that uses that data crashes.

Finally, there's some documentation, and it's not quite finished, or
there's something fishy on this device:
$ ls /sys//devices/platform/80860F41:04/i2c-12/i2c-SMO8500:00/iio:device0/events
in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_en      in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_value
in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_period  in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_en
in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_value
in_accel_x_thresh_thresh_period  in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_en
in_accel_y_thresh_thresh_value   in_accel_z_thresh_thresh_period

Reading this is like singing Kool & the Gang with a lisp.

It's also very unclear to me when to use triggers, if there are any,
when there a scan_elements sub-directory, and when not, when there is an
events sub-directory, and when not, and whether properties (the various
sysfs files) are readable, writable or both.

I've had the experience of 2 accelerometer devices, one in the Yoga 13,
using the hid-sensor* family of accelerometers, and one in the Onda
v975w with the kxcj9 1013 variant. The first has triggers, and
scan_elements. The second has events with "super-thresh" filenames.

So I'm really a bit lost.

Cheers