Re: Kernel wishlist item: Better IIO API

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 18:39 +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 06:33 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> >> No, unfortunately not and I'm not sure if such a ABI would be accepted if
> >> proposed.
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Because it means there will be ambiguity in the API on how to do things.
> Which is typically not a desired property.
>

> >> But checkout libiio[1][2], it hides the details of the sysfs file manipulation.
> >
> > I'm not sure that's any better unfortunately. I've certainly tried to do
> > that already in my code, but that doesn't change that the user-space API
> > is barely usable.
>
> It's not completely unusable ;)

In the end, you prefer the "self-documenting" of using sysfs files,
rather than an API which you can document in a header file?

I don't understand that. My questions on this very mailing-list, and
comments that were made to users of my code[1] clearly show that the
existing API is anything but "not ambiguous".

I've used the Bluetooth, input, rfkill, and inotify APIs as provided
directly by the Linux kernel (not through a layer) and they're of better
quality than the IIO one.

I just don't see how one could support a class of IIO sensors with the
existing API.

Cheers

[1]: https://github.com/hadess/iio-sensor-proxy/issues/1#issuecomment-54536393