Re: IIO hrtimer trigger

On 09/05/2014 08:22 PM, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
Hello Lars,

I'm picking this discussion, since we're also interested in using an hrtimer
trigger.

On 10/06/2013 08:15 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
We are pretty much stuck with that for the sysfs trigger already...

Unfortunately yes. I never liked its API and I still don't like it and we
have to live with it. But this doesn't mean we have to add more of the same.

So the reason why the hrtimer trigger hasn't been merged in its current form is
because we're still discussing the ABI, right?

I think the configfs documentation explains this quite well:

"Where sysfs is a filesystem-based view of kernel objects, configfs is a filesystem-based manager of kernel objects, or config_items." [1]

Can you elaborate on why you don't like the sysfs trigger API? If you can give
me some hints I can try to cook a patch for the configfs hrtimer trigger.

That would be great. I unfortunately only have a very foggy view of how the ABI and API should look like.

But I think the basic interface is have a toplevel iio configfs folder, maybe a subfolder called "triggers" and than a subfolder for each software trigger. E.g. "timer" (We shouldn't call it hrtimer cause that is just a implementation detail). Then in those trigger folders you can do mkdir to create a new instance of that trigger. In the folder there might be trigger specific config settings exposed as files.

- Lars

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/configfs/configfs.txt