Re: pushing SOC specific Trigger provider driver to upstream kernel

On 08/31/2014 05:50 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
On 31/08/14 15:50, Naidu Tellapati wrote:
Hi Mr. Jonathan and all,

For now just cc'd Lars-Peter on the basis Analog have a very similar timer based trigger (still in staging)
and I suspect he has some thoughts on this.

Lars, want to comment?

The plan for that driver is to replace it with a generic driver that uses the PWM framework. What we really want from this driver is that it generates a waveform on a pin which can be used as a conversion start signal.

If you just want to use a timer chip without a PWM waveform write a clockchip/clocksource driver for your timer IP and then use hrtimer as a generic IIO trigger. Which brings us back to the old problem that we still need to create the infrastructure to instantiate hrtimer triggers.

- Lars

My name is Naidu Tellapati from India. I work for Imagination Technologies, India. Thanks in advance for your help in this regard.

After going through some of the emails in the Linux-IIO email archive, we have taken the following approach to implement our Linux IIO based ADC driver.

We are planning to have two drivers as part of our implementation.

1. Timer's Periodic Interrupt Trigger Provider IIO driver (This driver uses our SOC specific Timer's periodic interrupt)

2. The generic IIO ADC driver (This ADC driver uses the periodic Timer Interrupt Trigger provided by the above driver)

The plan is to push both the drivers upstream to kernel.org. Now please suggest us, do you consider SOC specific Trigger Provider driver as well for pushing upstream to kernel.org ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Naidu.