Re: User-space API for accelerometer(s)?

On 07/03/2014 07:51 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
On 01/07/14 13:10, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Hey again Jonathan,

On Sat, 2014-06-21 at 13:01 +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
<snip>
Just to throw it in there.  There is an out of tree bridge driver from
IIO to input.  It's only out of tree because I haven't had a chance to
tidy it up (anyone else is welcome to take this on if they like!)
Google for iio_input.c to find it.

The intent of that was to allow general accelerometer drivers and similar
in IIO to work in conjunction with iio-input to provide input style interfaces.
This came about after previous debates on where the 'right' place for
accelerometers was in the kernel. I believe that at least in principle,
Dmitry was happy with this concept.

After updating forward-porting the driver so that it runs on a more
recent version of the kernel, I tried to get it running.

I'm guessing that you expected the iio_input driver to be instantiated
by a board specific file. Is there any way to have it generically try
out all the IIO devices, similarly to pci_register_driver()? Or should I
do that in the hid-sensor-accel driver?
At the moment we only have support to instantiate it via such a board specific
file. We probably want to be a little careful about how to add more generic
means for creating such bindings..

Simply generically trying all IIO drivers isn't the way to go as there is
no obvious way of deciding what it makes sense to bind to on a given machine.

Perhaps something closer to the way you can instantiate i2c devices from
userspace, or perhaps we need to consider something else such as configfs for
creating such bindings... (cc'd Lars for comments on whether that makes sense...)

Yes, configfs is what came to my mind after reading the first few lines of Bastien's mail. Exposing a IIO device as something other than a IIO device is a policy decision. And policy decisions should preferably be made by userspace. But yea, we have to be careful with the ABI.

- Lars