Re: iio: vcnl4000 ALS/proximity driver

On 6/12/2012 6:49 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

Peter Meerwald<pmeerw@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

I am lost with the meaning and use of IIO modifiers...
Quick and dirty summary.
Calibscale is internally applied within the hardware (or occasionally
software but looks like it was in the hardware from point of view
of userspace!)
thank you for clarification

Am I missing documentation somewhere?

Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio.
+ drivers/staging/iio/documentation/sysfs-* for other bits and bobs. Mostly it
should be fairly obvious how stuff lines up.

some comments in iio/types.h iio/iio.h would avoid guesswork...

enum iio_chan_type {
	/* real channel types */
are there unreal channels also? :)
ah, there were.  That comment is out of date.  This sort of thing is why
we try to keep minimal commenting in there unless absolutely necessary.
I suppose we could put a reference to say see the docs files...
what is IIO_ANGL_VEL vs. IIO_ANGL? VOLTAGE vs. ALTVOLTAGE?
Those should be pretty obvious and line up with the documentation.
Angl_vel is the angular velocity. angl is the the angle. Voltage is a dc voltage,
altvoltage is an alternating voltage. (this can mater as some 'interesting'
parts can sample the instantaneous voltage and also provide the rms voltage
under the assumption that it's a sinusoid.).

what is LIGHT_BOTH?
Visible + infrared  (agreed that one is not good.  We've talked about
changing that, but nothing has happened about it yet...)

it would be helpful what IIO_CHAN_INFO_SHARED_BIT vs
IIO_CHAN_INFO_SEPARATE_BIT relates to?
Maybe that one needs a comment..
Shared is across a channel type. E.g. in_accel_scale
vs separate which is per channel in_accel_x_scale.

IIO_CHAN_INFO_SAMP_FREQ vs IIO_CHAN_INFO_FREQUENCY?
That should be in the sysfs docs.  samping frequency refers to sampling
whereas frequency refers to the frequency of the thing being measured
or (more typically) output.

thanks, regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald