Re: Channel-less IIO events

On 10/24/11 16:05, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 04:25 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
>> On 10/24/11 14:47, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some chips generate events which don't really map to a channel, but are
>>> rather chip global. For example over-temperature events.
>> That one is a channel.
>>> Do you think this is something we should add support for or should we rather
>>> use a dummy channel, which doesn't report any actual values, for propagating
>>> the event?
>> Yup, have a temp channel for that one.  Conceptually you might have two chips
>> that are otherwise identical but one has a readable temp channel, the other
>> doesn't.  Userspace that is interested only in events won't care about
>> this difference.  Also we want to report what the conditions are as if it were
>> a channel we could read.  We want to know at what temperature this occurs.
>
> Ok, what should a read on such a channel return, an error value or just an
> dummy value?
Definitely error. We might need some magic to stop the channel showing up
in scan_elements if the chip uses buffering.  Also, if I recall, the magic
channel number -1 (as used for timestamps) stops it having a read attribute
in the first place (in place for timestamps).

>> [...]
>>>
>>> My idea for supporting channel-less events is to add a event_mask to struct
>>> iio_info, which would be used just like a channels event_mask, but there
>>> would be no index for the sysfs attributes and for events we would set the
>>> event number to 0xffff.
>> Could you give more examples?  The temp one to my mind definitely needs a
>> channel, perhaps others do not?  I am not against in principal but not
>> yet certain exactly when this would make sense...
>
> over-temperature is the only one i've seen so far. but other could be
> under-current or voltage for the whole chip.
There I'd also create a bonus voltage / current channel.  Need these particular
ones to map well because we'll probably have hwmon based in kernel users for them.