Re: Oddities and how to handle them.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:19:09AM -0400, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 04/28/11 11:04, Michael Hennerich wrote:
> > On 04/28/2011 11:31 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> >> Guenter / Jean - cc'd you two because we have an sysfs interface naming question for
> >> AC sensors that touches on the edge of hwmon.

> >> Call it 'root mean square' rather than quadratic in the docs. They have different
> >> meanings in English.

> >> currX as per hwmon?  They also define a power attribute, but only 1 (as DC
> >> I guess). Cc'd Guenter and Jean to see if we can / want to share an interface...
> >>
> > Honestly I don't like 'curr' - In my opinion we should use SI until
> > symbols (as well as standardized derived SI units where applicable).
> > In this particular case current is a SI unit.
> > For everything further we should use symbols commonly used in
> > Anglo-American EE and Physics literature. (NIST, IEEE, ...)
> Agreed, but it's an interface that is in place so best to match where
> we can. That way far fewer argument lie (we can always blame someone
> else :)

hwmon only uses inX for voltages. As such, usage of currX would only make sense
if you also use powerX for power, energyX for energy and so on.

> >> Guenter/ Jean, do you think hwmon will ever handle AC sensors? Maybe we want to be
> >> well clear of your interfaces just to avoid confusion? Or define a new set of shared
> >> names for the above that we will both use (when it becomes relevant?)

Depends if this would be for hardware monitoring purposes, which seems to be unlikely.

If it were, any ABI extensions or driver-specific attributes would presumably be based
on the existing hwmon ABI.

Guenter