RE: High frequency software trigger

Marten Svanfeldt wrote on 2011-03-04:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently begun looking at utilizing iio for the input part of a
> robotics system but have some doubts about its usability for which I
> would like your comments.
>
> Today we have (in our embedded system) a number of custom written
> drivers interfacing SPI attached accelerometers and AD converters,
> utilizing hrtimers for software triggering of sampling at 50 to 250 Hz.
> Herein lays my current question, has anyone used the IIO system with
> these type of sampling rates? The RTC based trigger seems to only give
> second or higher intervals.
>
> I will be looking at converting our special drivers to be acceptable
> for upstream submission, same for a hrtimers based trigger, should
> that be a good idea.
>
> Best regards
> Marten Svanfeldt

I recently submitted a trigger source driver that utilizes Blackfin hardware timer.

http://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio-trig-bfin-timer

Not sure what your platform is, but there might be similar peripherals,
that can generate sub second cyclic interrupts.

I successfully used it on a fast Blackfin processor at frequencies of 10kHz and above,
with this simple demo application.

http://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio_netscope

Greetings,
Michael

--
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Muenchen; Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 40368; Geschaeftsfuehrer:Dr.Carsten Suckrow, Thomas Wessel, William A. Martin, Margaret Seif