question about hwo to fit in an ALS driver

I am looking into submitting a sensor driver for the isl29018 ambient light sensor (als). I noticed there is an old isl als driver for a different part (isl29003) in drivers/misc but I also see the light sensor driver for tsl2653 in the drivers/staging/iio/light directory which seems much more like the correct place for this type of sensor driver to reside.

Is this subsystem designed for ALS drivers or a different type of light sensor? If it should support ALS drivers, I don't know how the IIO_DEV* attributes should map for this. I suppose it would just use the IIO_DEV_ATTR_LIGHT_VISIBLE for the lux, which could work, except that the isl29018 also functions as a proximity sensor, and the driver will support both modes.  What is the proper way to fit a driver like this into the iio subsystem?

One thing to note is that there are additional properties other than just reporting the lux that will need to be supported including changing the mode and setting the range, and I am not sure how these should fit into the device attribute framework exposed via light.h.

Thanks,
Rhyland