Re: linux: Goodbye from a Linux community volunteer

On Thu, Oct 24, 2024 at 05:58:45PM +0100, Jiaxun Yang wrote:

> 在2024年10月24日十月 下午5:27,James Bottomley写道:
> > On Thu, 2024-10-24 at 16:59 +0100, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi James,
>

> > It's Linux, so no official capacity at all.  However, I am expressing
> > the views of a number of people I talked to but it's not fair of me to
> > name them.
>
> Fair enough, I was hoping that it's from Linux Foundation but it's still
> good news to me that it do represent some respectful individuals.
>

> [...]
> >> How should we handle it?
> >
> > A big chunk of the reason it's taken so long just to get the above is
> > that the Lawyers (of which I'm not one) are still discussing the
> > specifics and will produce a much longer policy document later, so they
> > don't want to be drawn into questions like this.  However, my non-
> > legal-advice rule of thumb that I'm applying until I hear otherwise is
> > not on the SDN list, not a problem.
>
> Thank you for sharing your insights. I'm looking forward to the document.

+1

> While I remain quite upset about how things were handled, your message has
> helped restore some of my confidence in the community.

+1

> I agree with Peter Cai's earlier comment that steps should be taken to address
> the harm caused by the initial reckless actions, particularly to those who were
> humiliated.

+1

> It is also important to put measures in place to prevent such drama from recurring.
> A formal procedure for handling urgent compliance requests may be a sensible step
> forward.

+1

> I hold our community in high regard and would be heartbreaking to see the reputation
> of the Linux Kernel undermined in such an unfortunate manner. I would appreciate it
> if you could convey those thoughts to the relevant individuals.

+1

--
Regards,
Andreas

PS: What people also tend to forget. No matter how worse it gets in
world affairs there always will come a time after a conflict. And
people with brains should look forward to such times and how they can
continue to work together then.