Von: Cryptearth <cryptearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sa., 16. März 2024 um 14:47 Uhr
Subject: Re: Re[2]: ASMedia ASM1166/ASM1064 port restrictions will
break cards with port-multipliers
To: Conrad Kostecki <conikost@xxxxxxxxxx>

@Niklas
I tested the patch - but unfortunately it does not work with my card.
See the attached log - the fun starts around line 760. This time I
also attached the output of lspci -vvv -nn. I haven't checked for any
differences.
As Hans wrote my card seem to do something way different and out of
spec of standards.

@Conrad

> >I still hassle with the initial report: I couldn't tell any time lost
> >or gained. For me the probe of an unused port only takes roughly 0.3
> >seconds. Even multiplying by 128 I only get about 40 seconds. How
> >would someone end up with 3-4 minutes? On the other hand: When a drive
> >is connected and has to be initialized this does take more time - for
> >me roughly 1 second per drive. But even then a jbod with 128 drives
> >would take only 2 minutes or so. Is there something I just don't get
> >because I don't know or don't understand properly?
> >
> It may be the difference, that my ASM1064 card is _not_ using any port
> multipliers.
> It's a Delock 90073 16 port sata controller. It contains 4x ASM1064,
> each connected to one PCIe lane.
> So hardware PCIe interface is x4.
>
> Even, when 16 drives are connected, I can clearly see, that's its
> waiting on other sata ports for answer and reports after some time a
> timeout. It's not the hard drives, which are "slow". Its slow on unused
> ports and waits for timeout. Since 4 ASM1064 are present, a total of 128
> ports are reported. Maybe your connected port multiplier JMB575 causes,
> that those timeout are not happening then?

Oh, now I get it what this is all about. Well, seen from that point it
sure is some serious bug.
As for some reason (likely the one you mentioned) I don't experience
any additional delay I didn't understand what the initial report was
about and just thought: Well, someone adding HBAs to thier system sure
has some needs for additional storage so it's likely some sort of
storage, nas or san - a system that gets reboot once a month or so
hence the additional boot time is negligeable. But yea, when using it
as direct attached storage in your personal rig or on a workstation at
work like I do, I sure can see that even "just a few minutes extra"
add up quickly when one has to endure them every week or even every
day.