Re[2]: ASMedia ASM1166/ASM1064 port restrictions will break cards with port-multipliers

Hi!

Am 16.03.2024 12:33:57, "Cryptearth" <cryptearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

The subsystem IDs don't lead to anywhere - from a quick google search
it seems they use it on any of the cards no matter if it's a ASM1064
or ASM1166. So, using it as a filter likely doesn't cut it for
something like auto-detection. A manual override is likely the best
way to go - however it ends up implemented.
I can confirm this. Such cards seems still always to use original vendor and device id from ASMedia.
At least all my cards I had hands on it showed that.

As these cards are so common and in such wide varieties my guss is
that there's some generic firmware which was written once and in a way
to work on all of these cards - and hence just reports up to 32 ports.
It could be that it was done in a way "to just work with the least
amount of effort" and hence can cause side effects.
I do also suspect this, that there is some default firmware for this. Unfortunately, ASMedia won't give any firmware to end users, only vendors.

I still hassle with the initial report: I couldn't tell any time lost
or gained. For me the probe of an unused port only takes roughly 0.3
seconds. Even multiplying by 128 I only get about 40 seconds. How
would someone end up with 3-4 minutes? On the other hand: When a drive
is connected and has to be initialized this does take more time - for
me roughly 1 second per drive. But even then a jbod with 128 drives
would take only 2 minutes or so. Is there something I just don't get
because I don't know or don't understand properly?

It may be the difference, that my ASM1064 card is _not_ using any port multipliers. It's a Delock 90073 16 port sata controller. It contains 4x ASM1064, each connected to one PCIe lane.
So hardware PCIe interface is x4.

Even, when 16 drives are connected, I can clearly see, that's its waiting on other sata ports for answer and reports after some time a timeout. It's not the hard drives, which are "slow". Its slow on unused ports and waits for timeout. Since 4 ASM1064 are present, a total of 128 ports are reported. Maybe your connected port multiplier JMB575 causes, that those timeout are not happening then?

Conrad