Re: ASMedia ASM1166/ASM1064 port restrictions will break cards with port-multipliers

вт, 12 мар. 2024 г. в 21:14, Cryptearth <cryptearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello there,
>
> I've recently seen a topic on the arch forums about a user reporting
> some drives went missing on thier ASM1166 HBA. A reply figured out:
> It's patch to limit the ports.
> As I use a rather similar card with an ASM1064 I guessed: Well, could
> this also affect me? And as I've just looked up: Yes, 6.8 will affect
> me.

How? Where are boot logs with working/not working conditions?

And see official documentation on ASMedia site
https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/A58yQC9Sp5qg6TrF/58dYQ8bxZ4UR9wG5

[....]
SATA interface

AHCI SPEC Rev. 1.4
Four SATA Gen3 (6GBps) ports
Support NCQ
Support SATA LED
Supported port multiplier command based switching
[....]

Four ports. Nothing more, nothing less.

> Why? Because my card not just has one ASM1064 but also 4x JMicron
> JMB575 s-ata port-multipliers which fan out the 4 root ports provided
> by the ASM1064 to 20 actual usable ports, which I currently have 8
> drives connected to.

Yes, if it connects each of its ports to four or five JMB575 into PMP
mode - it's able to provide 16/20 SATA ports. And this patch changed
nothing there.