Re: Bug report for ahci-mvebu driver

November 8, 2022 8:27 AM, "Damien Le Moal" <damien.lemoal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So the adapter & driver are OK for regular ATA devices but they may not
> like port-multiplier devices, or one of its flavor. See:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier for a nice summary. PM
> comes with either command-based switching or FIS-based switching. The
> adapter may not support the flavor that your PM box uses, while the
> sata-mv adapter does.
>
> Try to check the router SATA adapter specs and your PM box spec and see
> what PM flavor they support. If that matches, then this is likely a
> driver issue. If they do not match, then nothing we can do. You will not
> be able to use that PM box with your router.
>
> --
> Damien Le Moal
> Western Digital Research

There is a lot of info in Marvell Armada 38x Functional Specifications manual, but I don't
understand it. "FIS" is mentioned.
See https://ulli-kroll.de/Downloads/NAS326/A38x-Functional-Spec-PU0A.pdf , page 241.

>From my kernel log:
ahci-mvebu f10a8000.sata: flags: 64bit ncq sntf led only pmp fbs pio slum part sxs
>From kernel sources ahci.h:
pmp means "port multiplier"
fbs means "FIS based switching"

Areca didn't write information so detailed in the manual, but it does say it supports NCQ,
so according to Wikipedia article you indicated, it probably isn't command-based switching.
Is there any way to get this info from the working router (sata-mv)? Or if I connect it to a desktop PC?

Marius Dinu