Re: Bug report for ahci-mvebu driver

On 11/7/22 18:22, marius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> November 6, 2022 9:05 AM, "Damien Le Moal" <damien.lemoal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Can you try current mainline 6.1-rc kernel ? Not going to debug 5.15.
>> Debugging should be done on the latest kernel and any bug fix backported.
>
> OK. I have a bootable kernel v6.1-rc3, but no rootfs yet. I load it via tftp. I built it from github.com/torvalds/linux using OpenWrt toolchain. Bootlog is attached. At 17 seconds I connect the DAS.
>
>>> The same router works perfectly when I connect a laptop HDD.
>>
>> You mean an external single HDD connected with an eSATA port ?
>
> Yes, to show that the hardware is not defective.

So the adapter & driver are OK for regular ATA devices but they may not
like port-multiplier devices, or one of its flavor. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier for a nice summary. PM
comes with either command-based switching or FIS-based switching. The
adapter may not support the flavor that your PM box uses, while the
sata-mv adapter does.

>> What kernel version is running on that older Linksys box ?
>
> 5.10
>
>>> [--- Areca connected ---]
>>> <6>[88761.966331] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl F300)
>>> <6>[88761.975472] ata1.15: Port Multiplier 1.2, 0x197b:0x0325 r193, 8 ports, feat 0xf/0x1f
>>
>> This one seems OK with the PHY detection and it links up. Let me know the
>> kernel version and we can see what changed between the older kernel and
>> 5.15. But you should still try latest 6.1-rc if possible.
>
> I don't think there is a change in kernel. It's just a diferent driver in use: ahci-mvebu vs. sata-mv.
> BTW, is sata-mv compatible with this hardware? It won't auto-load instead of ahci-mvebu if ahci-mvebu is missing.

Try to check the router SATA adapter specs and your PM box spec and see
what PM flavor they support. If that matches, then this is likely a
driver issue. If they do not match, then nothing we can do. You will not
be able to use that PM box with your router.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research