From: Robert Hancock [mailto:hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:17 PM
To: Sandra Escandor
Cc: linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Western Digital Scorpio and ICH10R on Debian - NCQ issue?

On 07/12/2011 10:21 AM, Sandra Escandor wrote:
> The Situation:
> It appears that a WRITE FPDMA QUEUED failed command causes driver
> timeouts - this in turn locks up the RAID (which once worked pretty
> well). This occurred during high I/O.
>
> The question:
> 1. Is it a good idea to turn off NCQ? I've read in different posts
that
> it helps some, but not others - I'm currently on the way to getting an
> experimental box setup, but I wanted to confirm if this was a good
idea.

Not really a solution to anything, at least not likely in this case.
More of a workaround that might happen to work by chance.

> 2. Are there known issues with the ICH10R + WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 and the
> libata driver?

Nothing known, no.

> The System:
> Four WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 drives (Western Digital Scorpio) - in
RAID10
> array created using mdadm 3.1.4
> ICH10R sata controller.
> Kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64

The fact that you have multiple drives and the problem tends to occur
during heavy I/O may point to a power issue. This has been known to
happen when some of the drives aren't getting enough power when there
are spikes in power draw during I/O access. In this case, using a
beefier power supply or spreading the drives out across different cables

from the PSU may help.