Re: libata: implement on-demand HPA unlocking

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 04:39 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> The old IDE driver defaulted to unlocking based upon years of experience
>> in the real world. Jeff insisted on being different, and surprise
>> surprise everyone ended up setting distro defaults that were different.
>
> What experience?  The only reason that I have heard for unlocking it is to
> maintain compatibility with the old ide driver which did so.  What reason
> does Linux have to access an area of the disk that the system has made clear
> it should not?  Aside from the upgrade case, I can not see any upside to
> this, only the downside of breaking on systems that work fine on Windows,
> because it does not disregard the platform request to leave that part of the
> disk alone.

I wish it was so simple.. HPA was originally used for accessing disk
area > 128GB (so default to unlock) on systems with buggy BIOSes and
then on some laptops vendors started to use it in _theirs_ Windows
versions for recovery area (so default to lock!), somewhere in between
fakeraid vendors came in to the game and finally we had conflicting
Linux defaults more as a result of premature deployment by some
distributions than a policy decision (since there were no feature
implemented to make a policy decision for).. oh and please do not
forget about distribution upgrades/downgrades -- not a common case in
Linux world but such things really do happen.. Do you see a problem
now?  You just cannot make a one policy nowadays and whatever policy
you decide on you're going to break some setups.. :-)  HPA policy is
system _and_ disk _and_ specific configuration dependent so there is
no way for kernel alone to get all different cases right.  The best we
can do is export all data points to user-space and let it & user deal
with the resulting mess..

Thanks,
Bartlomiej