Re: libata: implement on-demand HPA unlocking

On 02/09/2011 04:39 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
The old IDE driver defaulted to unlocking based upon years of experience
in the real world. Jeff insisted on being different, and surprise
surprise everyone ended up setting distro defaults that were different.

What experience? The only reason that I have heard for unlocking it is to maintain compatibility with the old ide driver which did so. What reason does Linux have to access an area of the disk that the system has made clear it should not? Aside from the upgrade case, I can not see any upside to this, only the downside of breaking on systems that work fine on Windows, because it does not disregard the platform request to leave that part of the disk alone.

The discussion at hand is about a change made a few months ago that is a
good compromise between always unlocking, and never unlocking.  Both of
those have problems, so a good compromise can have the benefits of both,
and the drawbacks of neither.  Furthermore, it is already in the kernel,
so continuing to argue about whether it should have been done or not
seems a moot point.

I disagree, and again you are still missing the entire point. For the
RAID stuff you don't care if we unlock, you don't need to care if we
unlock. You need to care about getting the raid tools figuring out what
geometry the raid creation was using.

What part to you disagree with? That the compromise in place can have the benefits of both, but the drawbacks of neither?

I understand that dmraid could work around the problem, but there should not be a problem in the first place. The system has asked that we not touch that part of the disk, so unless we have a good reason to do otherwise, we should honor that request. Given that this is how the kernel has operated for years, I am surprised that we are rehashing this argument. The other side of the argument that some distributions have settled on seems to be satisfied with the compromise of auto unlock iff a partition seems to use the protected space.

You seem to be saying that this compromise should not have gone into the kernel and instead, it should have just been patched to always unlock like some distributions have. Why? What advantage is there to always unlocking over auto unlocking only when it seems necessary?