Re: Marvel PMP SATA controller

On 30/09/10 14:39, Mark Lord wrote:
On 10-09-29 04:32 PM, Richard wrote:
On 29/09/10 20:56, Mark Lord wrote:

What are you trying to do?
Hi Mark,

Its an embedded device whereby the one HDD I have does not work with the Marvel PMP. I have the command to send to the PMP controller but I am not an officianado with linux SATA(the code I have is from VxWorks) The drive is confirmed working, but the PMP chip does not default to SATA Generation 1, and this HDD is a bit dumb to figure it out :) - so I have to force the PMP controller to Gen1 mode. (I have tons of drives that work just fine, its just this ONE Maxtor drive that is being a pain)

The short - I need to write a command to the SATA controller before this HDD can be recognised.
..

Does the existing libata parameter take care of it for you?

linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:
eg. libata.force=[ID:]1.5" ## replace [ID:] with port[.device] for the PMP and/or HD

Unfortunately not.. which is why I asked how to write commands directly on to the SATA bus from kernel space.

Richard