Re: support for drives larger than 2TiB

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:

saturation point.  Who knows?

I don't think any design decision should be made on the assumption that drives won't get larger.

There is always a market for bigger capacity drives. Today I use SSD for system drive, and then much larger capacity drives for long term storage. The term "drives are either new or full" still holds true in the 2TB era, it'd be the same if there were 8TB drives available.

If it was economically possible to store uncompressed video I'm sure we would, if it was anywhere economical. With 1080p60 that's a LOT of data.

If there is cheap storage available, people will stop erasing data and just let it pile up. I know I do, but I'm less cost sensitive than most.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx