Re: support for drives larger than 2TiB

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx put forth on 7/24/2010 8:49 AM:

> As a side consideration - moving from 512 to 4K moves the associated limit from
> 2 TiB to 16 TiB.  Given the current rate of device density increase, how much
> time will that buy us, and what do we do then?

The crystal ball tells me that SSD adoption will kick this date a little
farther into the future given that SSD capacity lags mechanical by a large
margin.  In the not too distance future, PCs/laptops/netbooks will all
transition to shipping with SSD as their sole/main internal storage device,
with USB3/eSATA thumb drives of 1TB and above permanently replacing external
USB/eSATA mechanical drives.

Servers will probably transition at about the same time to shipping with
solely SSD storage internally for boot/OS and maybe some other primary and a
little secondary storage, with mechanical storage being optional, whether
internal or external.  Mechanical in the form of FC/iSCSI SAN and NAS arrays
will still rule large data needs well after the aforementioned transitions above.

--
Stan