Re: Regression: my systems can no longer boot from an ide hard drive

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Mike Hayward <hayward@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Most likely the IDE drive isn't being detected properly, but we need
>  > more info on the hardware. Can you post the dmesg output from bootup
>  > with a working kernel? (If you can, the boot messages from the ones that
>  > fail to boot would be ideal. For the Fedora one, you can edit the kernel
>  > command line in grub and take the "quiet" off the end to see more of
>  > them on the screen, any ata output would be useful..)
>
> Ok, here goes with a working ubuntu system.  Getting logs from failed
> to boot systems is a challenge; none of the Fedora logs had anything
> obvious to me at the tail but I couldn't review them all.  Systems are
> production so I couldn't keep offline after weekend.
>
> This is from literally the same exact installation process except to a
> different drive.  The ide hard drive works just fine after booting
> from sata.  Hopefully boot messages can help.  Any ideas why Ubuntu
> didn't even bring up grub when pressing keys?  I am not so familiar
> with it, but guessing boot loader wedged before kernel bootstrap.

This one looks normal.. so it only fails if you actually boot from the
IDE drive? That's a bit odd. What if you boot from a Fedora install
disc in rescue mode - can it see the drive then?

I'm not too familiar with the Ubuntu boot process - it could be the
kernel messages are set up to be so quiet you don't get any output
even if it can't mount the root file system, etc.