Re: [smartmontools-support] SATA drive reset/disable events on ICH7 ata_piix when polling SMART info

Tim Small wrote:
Justin Piszcz wrote:
I have seen people report similar problems with the following drives:

1 - Velociraptors (me/others) (don't work at all in raid correctly)
http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/27303-velociraptor-premature-failure-rate-bad-drives-premature-to-market/
2 - Green Drives (search this list, there are similar problems) in Linux.

I have Caviar Black and WD RE3, they work OK in Linux.

OK, but:

1. Unlike the link you sent, there's nothing suspicious in any of the SMART attributes on any of the four drives - no bad sectors or other errors i.e. the following raw values are all zero on the WD drive which I've been stressing:

Raw_Read_Error_Rate
Reallocated_Sector_Ct
Seek_Error_Rate
Spin_Retry_Count
Calibration_Retry_Count
Reallocated_Event_Count
Current_Pending_Sector
Offline_Uncorrectable
UDMA_CRC_Error_Count
Multi_Zone_Error_Rate

... as well as empty SMART errors logs.

2. A few failures were seen with the Seagate drives as well (see last bits of the email), similarly with no apparent bad SMART attributes.
..

I have observed (and reported) the same issue in the past,
on Hitachi and Seagate drives.

The only constants seem to be libata and ICH7/8.
We must have a bug somewhere in there.

-ml