Re: [patch for 2.6.33? 1/1] ata: call flush_dcache_page() around PIO data transfers in libata-aff.c

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 12:29 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On 02/03/2010 12:20 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:

> >> Note the lack of local_irq_save/restore in our code, though...  These
> >> PIO xfers are __slow__, from the perspective of a CPU manufactured in
> >> the past decade; you are definitely disabling local interrupts for a
> >> long time.  I suppose we could do
> >>
> >> 	if (high mem)
> >> 		local irq save
> >> 		kmap
> >> 		xfer
> >> 		kunmap
> >> 		local irq restore
> >> 	else
> >> 		kmap
> >> 		xfer
> >> 		kunmap
> >>
> >> does that solve the problem for ARM, for 2.6.33?
> >>

> > It's unclear (to me) why that code is using KM_IRQ0 at all.  Can't it
> > use a non-irq kmap slot?
>
> libata may have to transfer data in response to an interrupt.  That is
> normal interrupt-driven PIO -- although it should be noted that the code
> supports polled PIO as well.

> >> Sure...  see above.  hopefully one that does not punish -everybody-
> >> though.  It would be sad to unconditionally slow down millions of volume
> >> platform (read: x86) users for some embedded boards.
> >
> > Well.
> > ata-call-flush_dcache_page-around-pio-data-transfers-in-libata-affc.patch
> > is a no-op on x86.  It only has an effect on architectures which
> > implement flush_dcache_page().  And I expect flush_dcache_page() is
> > pretty light on those architectures, when compared with a PIO-mode
> > transfer.
>
> I don't object to the patch...  as long as the arch people are happy.
> Arch people seem to be the ones complaining, though

Apart from the contents, which is looking like sprinkle mainline with
random flushes, I'm unhappy that something which could be better
implemented by thinking about the problem is now being rammed through as
a must have bug fix.

We got this piece of crap in the same way:

commit 2d4dc890b5c8fabd818a8586607e6843c4375e62