Re: SATA II NCQ and multi-port add-on card (PCI or PCIe x1)

Tejun Heo wrote:

I know sil3132 generally works well although it's quirky at times and
has bandwidth limitation.  Mark, how well do marvell chips preform?
Do they have performance limitations like 3132s?
..

They don't seem to have any significant bottlenecks,
so performance is limited only by the bus-width for
the card/slot into which it gets inserted.

Up to a point, somewhere in the mid-100's of MBytes/second.
And the PCIe 7042 / PCI(x) 6042 chips handle FIS-based switching,
plus all of the other SATA bells and whistles, including ATAPI.

I think the only significant thing that's missing now
is power-management, which probably isn't that hard to
add now that there are other in-kernel SATA drivers
that include some PM functionality.

Cheers