Re: SATA II NCQ and multi-port add-on card (PCI or PCIe x1)

Hello,

dhdurgee@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> JMB360 is an ahci controller.  ahci PMP support upto ahci1.1 doesn't
>> support FIS-based switching and performance is likely quite lower than
>> sil3132.
>
> In that case I think I can leave JMB360 out of my plans.

Well, intel ahcis don't support FIS based switching yet either.

> In addition to the SiI3132 chipset I am also seeing cards with the SiI3531
> chipset.  I see one of these for $12 shipped to me, so it certainly is
> reasonably priced!  Is this a good alternative to the SiI3132, or are
> there better alternatives?
>
> As noted in my subject, I am now seeking an add-on card and have only PCI
> and PCIe-x1 slots available to place it in.  I am open for any
> recommendations of particular chipsets and cards.  The ARC-5020 can
> support SiI, Intel, Nvidia and Marvell NCQ methods, so I am flexible in
> that area.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide me in this area.

I know sil3132 generally works well although it's quirky at times and
has bandwidth limitation.  Mark, how well do marvell chips preform?
Do they have performance limitations like 3132s?

Thanks.

--
tejun