Re: Frequent Head Unload Problem

Robert Hancock wrote:
Gavin Cameron wrote:
What do you think? Just a knackered drive and nothing to do with libata at all?

Yeah, it's possible that what you're hearing isn't a head unload at all, but some kind of abnormal recalibration noise, etc.

Hi again,

Just to follow up on this. I installed a new hard drive yesterday and magically this horrible sounding noise has stopped. So, it looks like the hard drive was doing that on it's own - as you say, perhaps a re-calibration cycle due to the excessive CRC errors.

Anyway, sorry for wild goose chase, but many, many thanks for pointing me down the path that made me discover that my /home partition didn't have long to live. I managed to transfer all data over sucessfully :-)

Best regards,
Gavin.