Re: Kernel bug crashing in HDIO_DRIVE_TASKFILE

Norman Diamond wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:
Norman Diamond wrote:
[attribution stolen:]

Libata should be used for any new setup that doesn't have a strict legacy requirement now.

90% agreed. However, I've read that libata will never support add-on IDE boards.

Huh? It already does support most or all that one is likely to see..

That is good news then.

Last week when searching for articles about Slax and libata, I found various postings about methods that temporarily worked but no longer (for example there used to be a kernel boot parameter for the combined mode of some Intel chipsets, and there used to be a parameter to disable probing by ide_generic). While not finding a way to get a particular chipset to be recognized as /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda, I also found other articles explaining various limitations of libata. Some said that SATA is the priority for libata as it should be, but PATA was low priority with just enough effort to get it working with common legacy IDE controllers, and add-on IDE boards were zero priority. My troubles

That's probably a fairly old article, not really the way things are today.

last week were with notebook PCs that didn't have add-on IDE cards, but I will also have to support add-on IDE cards.

If anyone here knows how to put libata in control of chipsets that could be claimed by either libata or legacy ide, please say. As mentioned I found various postings by others that temporarily worked but no longer. It was kind of reassuring to see my program operate correctly under Slax 6.0.3 with my slight modification to Slax's config kernel 2.6.24.3 to enable taskfiles -- and then heartbreaking to see ordinary programs get 1.5 megabytes per second to the hard drive.

Likely easiest to just disable CONFIG_IDE in your kernel configuration entirely. If you have two drivers compiled for the same hardware, there isn't really a good way to force one or the other to be used.