Re: 2.6.28.7 boot problems

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Sounds like you don't have the chipset-specific IDE driver enabled for your
> hardware (I don't see any of them enabled in this list). I think that
> IDE_GENERIC used to drive the controller in this case, but not anymore, as
> it can only do so in a crappy, non-DMA way.

Thanks Robert.

After more research, I determined my motherboard is a Gigabyte
Technology GA-K8U-939.  Its docs say it has a ULi M1689 chipset, which
supports Dual Serial ATA.  So I tried enabling ATA, ATA_SFF, and
SATA_ULI.  The kernel printed out a couple new lines about sata0 and
sata1, but didn't find any hd[a-d] or otherwise get any farther.

Then I tried just turning on as many chipsets as I could (skipping a
few whose help pages had dangerous-sounding warnings).  Using this
kernel, the alim15x3 driver (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3) did manage to
find hda and finish booting.  But I got several messages from the
kernel looking like:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Next I tried out Debian's
linux-image-2.6.28-1-amd64_2.6.28-1_i386.deb.  It also loaded hda
using the alim15x3 driver, and gave the same messages as above.

Do those messages suggest the wrong driver is being used?  That
there's a (not-yet critical) hardware problem on my hard disk, which
older kernels don't notice?

Now I'm going to go try some e2fsck -cc /dev/hda3 and/or badblocks -n
/dev/hda[12] to see if any disk problems turn up that way.

Attached is my dmesg from Debian's kernel.

-- Andrew