Re: 2.6.28.7 boot problems

Andrew Schepler wrote:
Hi, and apologies if this list is an impolite place to ask for help.
(If not, where is better?)

I tried building myself a 2.6.28.7 Linux kernel, but the IDE drivers
seem not to be working.  My hard drive is IDE ATA.  CONFIG_IDE is
built into the kernel.  I've tried both with and without
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC, but there's not much difference.  The root
partition is ext2 and ext2 is built into the kernel (but it looks like
the kernel's not even seeing any drives or partitions.)

On failed 2.6.28.7 boot, I see the following relevant-looking lines.
I copied these by hand, so there might be a minor typo.  Yes, the
kernel lists no partitions after "available partitions:".
ide-gd driver 1.18
ide-cd driver 5.00
ide_generic: please use "probe_mask=0x3f" module parameter
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Below is a grep excerpt from my .config, and then a successful dmesg
from kernel 2.6.17.  Can anyone guess what's going wrong?

Many thanks,
-- Andrew

$ grep -Ei 'ide|ata' /usr/src/linux-2.6.28.7/.config
# CONFIG_ATALK is not set
# CONFIG_PARIDE is not set
# CONFIG_ATA_OVER_ETH is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_IDE=y
CONFIG_IDE=y
# Please see Documentation/ide/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
CONFIG_IDE_ATAPI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_IDE_GD=y
CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATA=y
CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATAPI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD_VERBOSE_ERRORS=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
CONFIG_IDE_PROC_FS=y
# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_SFF=y
# PCI IDE chipsets support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
# CONFIG_IDEPCI_PCIBUS_ORDER is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_ATA=y
# CONFIG_ATA_NONSTANDARD is not set
CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
# CONFIG_SATA_AHCI is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_SIL24 is not set
CONFIG_ATA_SFF=y
(the rest of the matching lines are not set)

Sounds like you don't have the chipset-specific IDE driver enabled for your hardware (I don't see any of them enabled in this list). I think that IDE_GENERIC used to drive the controller in this case, but not anymore, as it can only do so in a crappy, non-DMA way.