Re: [BUG] 2.6.29-rc1: ata_piix boot hang due to bmdma32 change

Tejun Heo writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > Mikael Pettersson wrote:
 > > The problem is still present in 2.6.29-rc2.
 > >
 > > More debugging first showed that only the specific machine mentioned
 > > above is affected, as I've tested -rc1 on several other ata_piix boxes
 > > with various oldish disks and cdroms and none of the others triggered
 > > the hang.
 > >
 > > Secondly, the hang is due to the HP CD-Writer drive as having only it
 > > on the second port suffices to produce the hang. It doesn't matter if
 > > it's configured as master or slave.
 > >
 > > In any event, this shows that using 32-bit I/O ops should also be a
 > > function of the drive you're talking to, not just the controller.
 >
 > If you connect the writer to another machine, does it make the machine
 > hang too?

I haven't tried it since that machine is at a different geographical
location from my other machines. But I can try it next weekend.

My hang goes away with Hugh Dickins' fix for ata_sff_data_xfer32 [1]
which fixed a CD-ROM error (not hang) on his ata_piix box, and his
patch also fixed a CD-ROM error on a another person's pata_ali box [2].

The patch changes ata_sff_data_xfer32 to use 16-bit PIO instead of 32-bit
on any 1/2/3 byte "slop" after the main payload. But Alan thinks that
AMD chipsets cannot handle that [3]. (One of my test boxes is an old
AMD-chipset Athlon, I can test both my problematic CD-writer and the
possibly AMD-incompatible fix on it next weekend.)

[1] <http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123254501314058&w=2>
[2] <http://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=123277213928172&w=2>
[3] <http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123257958112434&w=2>

/Mikael