Re: [BUG] 2.6.29-rc1: ata_piix boot hang due to bmdma32 change

Mikael Pettersson writes:
 > Tejun Heo writes:
 >  > Hello,
 >  >
 >  > Mikael Pettersson wrote:
 >  > > The problem is still present in 2.6.29-rc2.
 >  > >
 >  > > More debugging first showed that only the specific machine mentioned
 >  > > above is affected, as I've tested -rc1 on several other ata_piix boxes
 >  > > with various oldish disks and cdroms and none of the others triggered
 >  > > the hang.
 >  > >
 >  > > Secondly, the hang is due to the HP CD-Writer drive as having only it
 >  > > on the second port suffices to produce the hang. It doesn't matter if
 >  > > it's configured as master or slave.
 >  > >
 >  > > In any event, this shows that using 32-bit I/O ops should also be a
 >  > > function of the drive you're talking to, not just the controller.
 >  >
 >  > If you connect the writer to another machine, does it make the machine
 >  > hang too?
 >
 > I haven't tried it since that machine is at a different geographical
 > location from my other machines. But I can try it next weekend.

I've now tried this CD-Writer on a couple of other boxes.

AMD756 (1022:7409 rev 03), pata_amd
2.6.29-rc3: hang as init starts udev
rc3 + Hugh's libata-sff patch: no hang and no visible issues,
despite this possibly being out of spec for the AMD IDE controller
rc3 + Hugh's patch + Alan's patch: no hang, all ok

440BX/PIIX4 (8086:7111 rev 01), ata_piix
2.6.29-rc3: hang as init starts udev
rc3 + Hugh's libata-sff patch: all ok

430HX/PIIX3 (8086:7010)
2.6.29-rc3: hang during driver init, immediately after drive was identified
rc3 + Hugh's libata-sff patch: all ok