Re: PIO with SSDs: needs a long DRQ-after-command timeout for WRITEs

Mark Lord wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:
..
No idea about IDE, but libata does not wait at all for DRQ assertion specifically, after issuing the PIO command it waits for BSY to be deasserted and then expects either DRQ, DF or ERR to be set, else it's a host state machine violation and triggers error handling. According to the ATA spec, the device is specifically not allowed to set DRQ to one while BSY is not asserted.
..

Okay, so how long does it wait for BSY=0 under that same circumstance?

Just the overall command completion timeout, it would appear.. usually 30 seconds I believe.

IDE is really only waiting 50msec in this case? That seems rather wrong.. I don't see anywhere in the current ATA specs that requires the drive to respond within that time period.