Re: 2.6.28: Timeout problem with AHCI SATA DVD drive

Robert Hancock wrote:
OK, so it's a "test unit ready" command that got sent to the drive and it timed out, then the resets after that all failed. That's essentially the simplest command there is, so it seems likely that the drive went off into the weeds and stopped talking to us. Whether or not we can do anything to prevent it, I'm not sure.

You're sure the drive always detects that same disc properly in Windows?

You are right. I finally was able to reproduce this behavior in Windows. The event log filled up with errors while the disc kept spinning.

So this may be a drive firmware issue?

Regards, Peter.