Re: ATA_16 support on mptsas

On Friday 27 June 2008 17:07, Moore, Eric wrote:
> On Friday, June 27, 2008 8:24 AM,  Krzysztof Błaszkowski wrote:
> > The recent firmware for e.g. SAS3442 doesn't send check
> > condition with ata
> > registers file so some commands don't work properly although
> > those commands
> > don't return drive state are delivered to drive and processed
> > by the drive.
>
> I device driver supports returning sense data, so if the target returned
> sense, it would be sent up the stack.    Here is the location of the SATL
> spec http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/sat2/sat2r05.pdf, please refer to
> section 11.1..   So can you provide more details on which commands are you
> expecting sense data on.    Meanwhile I will send Ken the mpt fusion
> engineering design note for SATL.

okay. i didn't know this spec so thank you for reference.

Anyway:
1. I observed that ATA_16 issued to disk through ICH6 ends up with 4 bytes
longer sense data comparing to sense data from LSI.

2. according to the spec chapter 12.2.3 if the cdb has set the CK_COND bit
then the sense data should include ATA Status Descriptor described in chapter
12.2.5.  Seems that the recent firmware violates this requirement thus latest
hdparm (rev 8.9) signals false failure or can not evaluate right status. And
the hdparm sets this bit in sgio.c:sg16()

you can try e.g. CHECK POWER MODE (0xe5)

> Eric

Krzysztof