Re: sata_mv & pmp support

Tejun Heo wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
..
I've just noticed that, if I unplug/replug the host-side SATA cable
on the Sil3726 PM, and *then* "insmod sata_mv", the PM is not found.

If I then simply do "rmmod sata_mv ; insmod sata_mv", then the PM is found.

This happens with the original hardreset code from Jeff,
as well as the updated sata_mv code that I've posted earlier.
So it is not anything I've broken (recently :) ).

Very strange.. I wonder if it also happens with the Marvell PM,
except I don't have one here to test with at the moment.

Ever heard of anything strange like that?

IIRC, ICH8 ahci + 4726 fails the initial reset sequence because the PMP comes up after the hardreset code times out, which triggers another EH iteration which works out fine. If the problem is caused by the PMP not responding fast enough, it should cause a hotplug event afterwards.
..

So I ought to be able to insert (for debug purposes only) a msleep(3000)
at an appropriate location in the code, and suddenly see this problem go away?

Not for upstream -- the eventual hotplug support in sata_mv is the real solution.
But just to confirm that this is indeed the issue.

Cheers