Re: Need help understanding SATA error message.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Tomas Lund wrote:

I have a SuperMicro X7SBi with ICH9R SATA running 64bit linux 2.6.24.4. I have 4 1TB disks connected to the motherboard, and one of the disks is logging an error message. Everything is brand new, and hooked up just a few weeks ago.

S.M.A.R.T. shows no errors (see output from "smartctl -a" at the bottom of this email) after running both a short and long offline selftest, and my question is if its possible to tell from this error message what the problem is. The result "51/04:00:0a:24:f9" is a bit crypting to me, and it would be nice to know what the problem actually is before returning the disk.

What a coincidence :) The ata wiki, just created yesterday, had a new page added yesterday:

	http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages

Heh, yeah, now I know that the controller sent the command "ea" to the disk, and that the disk has indicated a device error, but I am afraid it doesnt really tell me alot more than i already knew, ie: not alot. :)

All arguments to this "ea" command seems to have been 0? And the error has "status = 0x51" listing som LBA location on the disk where the error occured?

Sorry, but I dont know enough about the protocol to understand most of this, could you please help me decode it futher?

Best regards,
Tomas