Re: Correct use of ap->lock versus ap->host->lock ?

Jeff Garzik wrote:
You need to perform your own LLD-specific locking analysis to see if it is safe to do, e.g. __mv_stop_dma() rather than mv_stop_dma().

And speaking as the probable author of some of the code that takes a lock during EH in sata_mv.... reinforcing that the above quoted statement is true.

Generally I would put in a lock during EH around register or data manipulations that were locked elsewhere in the driver, thus guaranteeing such code is safe.

However, it may also be the case that such a lock during EH is unnecessary because command submission machinery is disabled. I chose a path that potentially added more locking, but was much easier to verify correct.

	Jeff