Re: Linux 2.6.24 sata_promise SATA300TX4 problems

Hi Mikael,

Thanks for your reply :-)

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
Mysterious. What you have there is a transmission error between the
controller and the disk, which is bad in and by itself, but then there's
a sequence of COMRESETs that fail to bring the port or disk back to life.

The original error is not a driver error but something caused by your
system, be it a dodgy cable, a poorly seated cable, or electrical
interference. But the failed COMRESETs is a concern as I've seen them
in other reports as well.

Maybe I should try switching cables (again). Or it could be a motherboard issue (NFORCE2)?

Me worried ...

So going back to 2.6.21-rc2 makes the system stable again? Can you do some
more testing to see at what point the system becomes less stable? I.e.,
2.6.21-rcI, 2.6.22, 2.6.22-rcJ, 2.6.23, or 2.6.24-rcJ?

I believe the important part is your 1.5Gbps patch which I applied to 2.6.21-rc2. Maybe the reason for being stable is that the transmission error will not show up at that speed - thus not having anything to do with the kernel version. I'm quite sure the problem is there using 2.6.21-rc2 at 3Gbps.

FWIW, I just completed some testing of a 300 TX4 card with kernel 2.6.24,
including dd:s, fscks, mkfs:s, and copying about 400GB of data from one drive
(Samsung) to another (Seagate 7200.10) on that card, and I cannot seem to break it.

I believe it only happens if I stress all four drives simultanously. So maybe the transmission error is somehow related to the overall stress of the PCI bus/card/chip/whatever?

If it is not too much of a hassle, could you please make a 1.5Gbps patch for 2.6.24 for me to try out? If it solves the problem (without me ever touching the cables) we know for sure it is speed-related and not due to kernel version.

Still strange that the com resets does not help though (but maybe this is the drive which locks up?) :-/

Best regards,

Peter
-