Revisiting - 2.6.23.8 - Hang with sata_mv (7042) + Flat 4Gig (no holes) Memory

Well, I thought my problems were solved with the latest set of
patches - and it definitely improved the behavior - but I have
found out that it just delayed the problem - and I still get a
soft lockup (no good info in the soft lockup trace) creating
large (>300Meg) when using the sata_mv/7042 driver in 2.6.23.8

I am very embarrassed that I didn't do more testing before
declaring victory...humbly apologies to all...

To re-state the problem....

Hardware/Configuration:
   MPC8548E with a 7042 (rev 2 - connected internal via a PEX switch)
   2.6.23.8 (using PHYS_64BIT & PTE_64BIT - for 36 bit addressing
             & MSI is NOT compiled in)
   Flat 4Gig Memory Map (no holes - 0 - 0x0_FFFF_FFFF defined - special
 	                   low reserve memory is also used)

   Local Bus & PCI Express IOMem mapped to unique space in
		0xC_xxxx_xxxx with extensions to the ioremap routines
		to create the appropriate requested physical address...
		This is (and should be) transparent to the requesting
		function that calls ioremap.

   2 SATA hard drives connected.

To recreate:
   Write a large file (now greater than >310Mbytes) - hangs
   and soft lockup is detected by kernel - no useful info
   in stack trace...

Of interest:
   a) Replace sata_mv.c - with the 'old' Marvell's reference
      driver and it works perfectly!!

   b) Also, sata_mv works perfectly in all conditions - if we boot with
      less than the ~3750M from the command line (which I note is ~below

      where its PEX IOmemory space is located).

My thoughts (besides @#$@#$@#$#@#$@#)

	In the old Marvell reference driver - we had to modify
	the EDMA setup to configure the dma_high request/response
	addresses to point to the proper (0xC_xxxx_xxxx) location.
	No other modifications were required - so it's a little
	confusing what is going on here.

	It is obvious from #b above that this has something to
	do with accessing/reading/writing data to/from this chip,
	and when this happens - it scribbles on important internal
	information and/or gets into a confused state where it
	just locks up...

Again, sorry for my inadequate testing reports before...and I look
forward
to anyone's input on this!

Sincerely,

Tom Morrison