Re: FIS structure and Command List structure for AHCI SATA controller

mike zheng wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Actually I am using Marvell's 88SE6121 on kernel 2.4. I just wonder do
I have to enable the FIS? The SATA Command Table of the device have
following definitions:

00h Command FIS
40h ATAPI Command (CDB)
60h RSVD
80h Physical Region Descriptor Table

Does it mean I can only use FIS or ATAPI for this device?

Another confusion is the manual say that software should prepare the
command header, command FIS and the ATAPI command (CDB) for the ATAPI
command. Why it needs the FIS for ATAPI command?

Thanks for your help.

FIS == basic data message used by all Serial ATA.

Both SATA ATA and SATA ATAPI use a FIS, it is fundamental to the nature of Serial ATA.

	Jeff

-