Re: Sata Sil3512 bug?

MisterE wrote:
Hello,

Alexander, does these problems with the Promise SATA300 TX4 happen to
everyone?

Most probably not, as I think it would have been fixed much faster then.

I was waiting for a) release of 2.6.23, and b) me completing the move to another flat
to retest all the latest developments in mainline and libata-dev.

With a) done and b) almost done, I'll retest and report any issues quite soon.

Besides, there is a report of TX4 and 2.6.23 not showing problems that were there with 2.6.22, ( see "Bug is fixed in 2.6.23.1: sata_promise: port is slow to respond, reset failed" thread).

The only alternatives are
using soft-raid products as normal controllers. Does anyone have experiences
with the following products?
* Highpoint RocketRAID 1640 (150 MB/s)
* Highpoint RocketRAID 1740 (300 MB/s)
* Adaptec 1210SA

For any kind of non-hobby task I'd skip trying to build a disk array to buying a SATA-SCSI/SATA-iSCSI box. While I had many mind-boggling issues with various combinations of SATA HDDs, onboard and standalone
controllers, Promise and Infortrend disk arrays worked quite reliably.

--

./lxnt
-