Re: Re[2]: Sata Sil3512 bug?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:20:23 +0200, MisterE wrote:
> I build another setup with almost the same hardware.
> This motherboard had already the latest bios.
> I notice that the computer does almost never find the hard drive
> although the controller is found every time (with lspci). So i get no
> drive (sda) assigned. I don't always see the "bios" screen from the
> controller at startup. And in the past it showed the hard drive.
> So i could not experiment with this motherboard.
>
> After that i installed Windows XP and used the orginal (sweex)
> drivers with the first motherboard. This also makes the data corrupt.
> So it seems not to be an linux problem. So there is something wrong with
> the motherboard or the 3512 controller.
>
> After that i plugged both hard drives (ide with windows and sata disk)
> to the Asus board. No data corruption. So the hard disks are'nt the
> problem either.
>
> I'm thinking of replacing both 3512 controllers with a Promise SATA300
> TX4. Do you know if there are problems with this device?

(please don't top-post)

There are no known data-corruption issues with Promise SATA cards.
However, some of them, especially the 2nd generation SATA300 TX4,
are known to trigger intermittent error interrupts (that are dealt
with but may cause a speed reduction) in some systems. We're still
scratching our heads on that issue.

/Mikael

-